Twin Stick Shifter: A Guide for an Off-Road Upgrade
You are surely familiar with the twin-stick shifter if you're an off-road vehicle fan. But for those who are new, a twin-stick shifter is an aftermarket upgrade that enables independent control of the 4x4 vehicle's drivetrain (front & rear). Installing this upgrade gives great control over vehicles and enables tackling challenging terrains easily.
Let's now learn the basics of twin-stick shifting, how they work and what their benefits are, as well as how to install them.
What is a Twin Stick Shifter?
Twin stick shifters are a modification that can easily be added to most 4x4 vehicles. It replaces the original shift lever. The twin-stick shifter, unlike the original lever that controls both front and back drivetrains simultaneously allows for separate control.
How Does a Twin Stick Shifter Work?
A twin stick shifter works by separating the shifters for the front and rear drivetrains. Doing so allows the driver to engage either the front or rear drivetrain independently or in tandem. This added flexibility allows drivers to navigate challenging terrains more effectively, as they can choose the optimal drivetrain configuration for each situation.
Benefits of a Twin Stick Shifter
Upgrading to a twin-stick shifter has many benefits. These are the most noticeable:
- Improved maneuverability: With independent control over the front and rear drivetrains, drivers can more easily navigate tight turns and other tricky terrain features.
- Greater control: By choosing the optimal drivetrain configuration for each situation, drivers can avoid getting stuck or damaging their vehicles.
- Enhanced off-road performance: With greater control and maneuverability, off-road enthusiasts can confidently tackle more challenging terrains.
Installing a Twin Stick Shifter
Installing a twin-stick shifter is a relatively straightforward process. However, it needs mechanical expertise and the proper tools.
Here are the steps involved:
- Remove the factory shift lever.
- Install the twin-stick shifter, following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Adjust the linkage to ensure smooth operation.
- Test the shifter to ensure it engages the front and rear drivetrains independently.
In conclusion, a twin-stick shifter is an aftermarket upgrade that offers numerous benefits for off-road enthusiasts. Drivers can confidently tackle any challenging terrain, thanks to twin-sticks' great control and maneuverability.
Front Range Off-road Fabrication: The Leader in Twin Stick Shifters
If you're looking for a high-quality twin stick shifter, Front Range Off-road Fabrication has your back. We have been making Toyota twin sticks for longer than anyone else, and our systems are known for durability and reliability. With no pins or screws to wear out or get sloppy, our billet chrome-moly twin-stick shifters are built to last a lifetime.